Hi, my name is Billy Satterfield I'm a golfaholic. "Hi Billy!" should have been your knee-jerk response to that intro if you've attended Golfaholics Anonymous classes too. If you haven't attended any classes, but need to, my wife hosts them every other Wednesday night after PTA meeting. In Alcoholics Anonymous' 12 steps to recovery program, the first step reads; "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable." Substitute golf in for alcohol, and that pretty much epitomizes my life.
As the self named Golf Course Gurus, participants on this website love golf; the challenge, the comradery, and the flat out beauty. Golf courses represent some of the most beautiful, well manicured places on earth. Renowned golf course architect Jim Engh once said, "Golf is the only art form whereby the viewers of the art can not only move within the artwork but also 'compete' against it." We concur. We love the individuality, the challenge, the architecture, the sanctuary, and the beauty - both natural and created.
One the keys to any successful website is having fresh content. Whether it is new pictures, course reviews, or just a fresh look; the Golf Course Gurus website will frequently feature something new to look at or read. I also relish a good list - golf-related or otherwise. Every medium publishes them, and everyone with an opinion loves them. Top 10 This, Top 50 That, Greatest 100 of All Time, etc., etc. Lists inspire thought, instant debate, strong opinions, and renewed or initial interest. Golf lists are no exception.
THE AUTHOR AND HEAD GOLF COURSE GURU
Billy - Writer and Photographer
In addition to writing about golf courses, I sell real estate. I represent the fourth generation of Satterfield's that have sold real estate in Pocatello, ID and am an Associate Broker at Re/Max Country Real Estate. I didn't pick up golf until my 20s but was able to develop a single digit handicap after playing for a few seasons. I play a very high ball flight with my drives getting virtually no roll and my irons landing soft. During the non-golf season I stay active by playing basketball, running on the treadmill, and playing video games. Playing video games to stay active? Sounds odd, but I actually play Madden NFL Football or FIFA soccer while logging a few miles in on the treadmill to try and stay in shape. I also enjoy doing P90X workouts with my wife, Stacy. Beyond those things my life stays plenty busy while Stacy and I try to keep up with our four beautiful daughters and three sons.
- Favorite Course: Old Head Golf Links
- Favorite Golf Hole: Pebble Beach 8th
- Most Overrated Top 10 Course: Winged Foot (West)
- Most Underrated Course: Sleepy Hollow Country Club (NY)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Augusta National (GA) - Runners-up include ANGC and the home of the Masters
- Best Round played: 68 at my home course (Highland)
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: My Dad, my wife, and Ty Detmer
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: 227 yard hole-in-one at Glenwild's 11th hole (Park City, UT) - Runner-ups include my 2nd hole in one 4 1/2 months after my first; this time it was the 144 yard 16th hole at Oasis (Canyons) in Mesquite, NV. I then had a 125 yard hole in one July 14, 2012 on the 16th hole at my home course (Highland) with my oldest daughter Shayla and repeated the effort June 21, 2013 while golfing with my other three daughters. On June 29, 2015 I got a hole in one on a par four; a 290 yard 3-wood uphill at Highland's 3rd hole.
- What's in the Bag: Titleist 910 D3 8.5* driver, 13.5* Mizuno MP-001 3 wood and 5 wood, Mizuno MP-63 irons 3-PW with KBS C-Taper S+ shafts, Titleist Vokey SM4 52* and 56* wedges, and Odysssey 2-ball putter.
GOLF COURSE GURUS ASSOCIATE BIOS
I've met very few people that dedicate the same time, energy, or passion for golf that I do; however there are some people that do. They are referenced throughout the site in blogs, reviews, etc. and so I thought it would be nice to put a face with the name.
Rich - Architecture Correspondent
Anyone that has golfed with Rich Shipp would be lying if they said they have seen him miss the fairway more than twice. While that is a bit of an exaggeration, it isn't a huge stretch! Rich is the definition of consistency and his smooth, tempoed swing produces consistant results which keeps his handicap around scratch. Rich's engineering background helps him analyze golf courses and appreciate the architecture that goes into them. While he appreciates all types of golf coures, he really enjoys tracks that demand accuracy and the ability to flight balls on approaches. Rich is an easy going guy that loves the competition and strategy of golf and takes pleasure in 'kindly' kicking your tail in a match!
- Favorite Course: Victoria National
- Favorite Golf Hole: Bandon Dunes 16th
- Most Overrated Course: Pebble Beach Golf Links
- Most Underrated Course: Pasatiempo (CA)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Private course: Augusta National (GA) - Public course: St. Andrews
- Best Round played: -6 by shooting 66 three times at Highland (Pocatello, ID) and a 65 at Cove View (Richfield, UT). Equally proud of shooting 73 at Snake River Sporting Club while playing with Tom Doak in 2015 and then shooting at 73 at Spanish Oaks in Austin in 2016.
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: Jack Nicklaus, Phil Mickelson, and Tiger Woods playing Augusta National with my wife Annette as my caddie
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: Albatross (double eagle) on the par five 7th hole at Cinnabar Hills (Mountain course) in San Jose, CA. The hole measure 503 yards and I holed out from the rough, 191 yards uphill with a 3-iron.
- What's in the Bag: Titleist 915 D2, Nike 3&5 woods, Titleist 816 H1 hybrid, Mizuno MP-63 4-PW irons, 56* and 60* Titleist Vokey wedges, and a Ping Craz-E putter
Daren - Course Evaluator
Daren is a baseball player that converted to golf after his high school days. His passion for golf grew to the point that he earned his Rocky Mountain section PGA card in 2000 where it allowed him to see "the other side" of the golf business. Daren plays a high draw off the tee and can always count on his knock-down iron shots to come through when the wind and pressure rises.
- Favorite Course: Cypress Point, Sand Hills, and Sherwood CC - a tie between all three
- Favorite Golf Hole: Pebble Beach 18th
- Most Overrated Course: Poppy Hills
- Most Underrated Course: Sanctuary (Denver, CO)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Augusta National and St. Andrews
- Best Round played: 66 at Riverside (Pocatello, ID)
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: My Dad, Arnold Palmer, and Phil Mickelson
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: First hole in one - 175 yards at Highland #5. Runner up - second hole in one at Burley Golf Course, 156 yard 2nd hole where I won a set of Callaway irons. 3 putt challenge at Burley Golf Course during their chamber of commerce scramble where I sunk three consecutive putts from 10, 30, and 50 feet to win $2500. Lastly, an albatross on Canyon Springs 14th hole where I sunk my second shot from 235 yards out with a 3 wood.
- What's in the Bag: Titleist 910 D3 9* driver, Titleist 3 wood, TaylorMade Hybrid 19*, Ping s56 irons 4-PW, Mizuno 53*, 56*, and 60* wedges, and Scotty Cameron oil can Newport putter.
R.Jay - Content Writer
The next character, and I mean character, with the Gurus is R.Jay Henderson. RJay is a jack of all trades that enjoys snowmobiling, hunting, fishing, basketball, water sports, and of course golf. While playing wide open golf courses may remind R.Jay of his days growing up on a farm, what really spins his wheels is a mountain golf course with trees. In fact, it was an easy choice for him to place Bandon Trails as his favorite courses from the famed Bandon Dunes resort. For a long time his fondest golf memory is when he stuck his tee shot 26 inches from the hole at Coeur d'Alene Resort's floating green, but that was trumped in the fall of 2012 when he registered his first hole-in-one, which Billy witnessed.
- Favorite Course: Black Rock Golf Club (ID)
- Favorite Golf Hole: Coeur d'Alene 14th (floating green) and Black Rock 11th
- Most Overrated Course: Banbury (Eagle, ID)
- Most Underrated Course: The Creek at Qualchan (Spokane, WA)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Cypress Point and Augusta National
- Best Round played: 73 at home course (Highland)
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, and Bill Murray (Billy Satterfield operating as caddy for the group to witness the fun and to try and keep the group under control)
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: 175 yard shot at Coeur d'Alene's floating green that finished within gimmie range
- What's in the Bag: TaylorMade 10.5* R11 driver, TaylorMade R11 3-wood, TaylorMade R11 hybrid, Mizuno MP-64 irons, 51*-56*-60* Mizuno MP-T wedges, and old reliable; Scotty Cameron Santa Fe putter
Dewight - Course Evaluator
Dewight is built like a NFL tight end and is able to combine his strength and hand-eye coordination to deliver a golf game that is envied by most guys his size. With power off the tee and soft hands around the green, Dewight boasts an all around game that can get hot at the right time. He loves to play in tournaments and can often be found in Blackfoot where his hometown course brings the best out in his game.
- Favorite Course: Pacific Dunes
- Favorite Golf Hole: Pacific Dunes 13th
- Most Overrated Course: Coral Canyon (Utah)
- Most Underrated Course: Circling Raven (Idaho)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Augusta National and Pebble Beach
- Best Round played: 73 at Riverside (Idaho), although I've had several 75s in tournaments including at Sun Brook with a quadruple bogye on the card
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Jordan Spieth, and of course my wife as our caddie
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: Albatross from 190 out on #6 at Blackfoot and a hole-in-one on #12 at Juniper Hills during a scramble tournament
- What's in the Bag: Titleist 913 10.5* driver, Callaway XR 3-wood, Ping G25 hybrid, TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons 4-A, TaylorMade Tour Preferred wedges 54* and 58*, and TaylorMade Spider Limited putter
Steve - Senior Analyst
When it is time to book a round of golf, there is a good chance Steve (Billy's Dad) is going to get a call. My Dad and I picked up the game together and used to play scrambles all the time so that we didn't get too frustrated with some of our "less than stellar" shots. Today, Steve is a steady player that counts on his deadly low iron game to get the job done. The most beautiful course he's ever played is Jim Engh's Club at Black Rock masterpiece in Coeur d'Alene, ID. His favorite all time course though is Columbia Edgewater in Portland, OR where the LPGA stops each August. Steve served as the mission president for the Georgia Atlanta mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from July 2009 - July 2012. His time in the Peach State opened the door to visit East Lake, Atlanta Athletic Club, Peachtree Golf Club, and others.
Brandon - Ratings Collaborator
If there was a sport to be played growing up, you could count on Brandon being involved. From football to basketball to baseball, Brandon found a way to be successful at all of them and is one of the few Gurus that actually played high school golf. Brandon loves to go back to the tips to tee it up and uses a draw to get around the course. Brandon proved his Guru merit during a 2016 trip to Bandon Dunes where he was undeterred by the crazy winds and rain during that pounded down one afternoon as he maintained a smile all the way to the 18th green. You'd be hard pressed to find a guy that is easier to be around then Brandon and if you challenge him to a 90s music throw-down, be prepared to lose.
- Favorite Course: Bandon Dunes, Torrey Pines, (How can I pick just one?)
- Favorite Golf Hole: 14th hole at Coeur d'Alene (The Floating Green)
- Most Overrated Course: Coeur d'Alene Resort
- Most Underrated Course: Highland (Pocatello)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Augusta National Golf Club
- Best Round played: 33 (+1) at American Falls GC in a 9-hole high school tournament; my one and only tournament win! 77 at Pinecrest and Highland golf courses
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: My dad, Tom Brady, and Chris Farley
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: My first hole-in-one; I have a feeling it is going to happen this season.
- What's in the Bag: Titleist 913 Driver 10.5*, Titleist 910 3 wood, Ping eye 3+ irons, Tom Watson PW, SW, LW, Odessey 2-ball putter
Spencer - Course Evaluator
Spencer Ellis is a tennis player that converted to golf and hasn't looked back. His tennis background led Spencer to maintaining a 10-finger grip on the club which is utilized to hit the ball dead straight all day long. There isn't anything flashy about his game, just consistent results. Spencer is well traveled across the country which allows him to see courses in various settings and he also enjoy playing in tournaments when possible. His biggest pet peeve in golf course design is a bunker in the center of the fairway where Spencer is often heard saying, "Why am I being penalized for hitting it down the middle?"
- Favorite Course: Gozzer Ranch and Rich Harvest Farms
- Favorite Golf Hole: 9th hole at Osprey Meadows (Tamarack)
- Most Overrated Course: Crooked Stick
- Most Underrated Course: Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Bandon Dunes courses
- Best Round played: 76 at Atlanta Athletic Club and 67 at Hobble Creek
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: Tiger Woods, Bobby Jones, and Ben Hogan
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: Hitting it within two feet for a tap in eagle from 230 yards out in a fairway bunker at Victory Ranch during the 2012 Utah Mid Amateur
- What's in the Bag: Ping G20 driver, TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, Bridgestone J40 irons, Titleist Vokey wedges, Scotty Cameron Newport putter
Daniel - International Contributor
Daniel Reid is known for his text book swing and enjoyable, easy going personality. He and his father, professional golfer Mike "Radar" Reid, are both die hard BYU fans where they each played college golf. Daniel stands at 6'2" and generates an impressive combination of power and balance throughout his swing which produces consistent low scores. Struggling with your game? A student of the golf swing, Daniel is happy to offer some insight to get your shots back on track. Daniel has seen various courses across the world travelling with his father and at times acting as his caddie on the Senior PGA Tour.
- Favorite Course: Robert Trent Jones Club (Gainsville, VA)
- Favorite Golf Hole: 16th at Cypress Point
- Most Overrated Course: Red Ledges (Heber City, Utah)
- Most Underrated Course: Glen Oaks CC (West Des Moines, IA)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Augusta National
- Best Round played: 64 at Riverside CC Provo, UT
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: Mike Reid (dad), Madison Reid (wife), William Reid (grandpa)
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: 230yd hole out with a hybrid for Double-Eagle at Valley View #9. That shot completed a birdie-birdie-birdie-double eagle finish.
- What's in the Bag: Taylor Made R11 Driver 8*- Taylor Made R11 3-wood 14*- Titleist 909 hybrid 19*- Titleist AP2's 3-pitch (KBS Tour Stiff shafts) - Titleist Vokey Wedges TVD 52* and 58*- Putter- Scotty Cameron Santa Fe
Tom - East Coast Correspondent
Tom Stoddard married Billy's younger sister (Shelly) and is therefore Bill's brother-in-law. Tom is a natural athlete that excelled in baseball, football, and basketball in high school and has now obtained the golfing "bug", much to Shelly's dismay. Since graduating from Idaho State University, Tom has taken golf more serious where the lefty can get frustrated by the fact he can't test out any of our right-handed golf equipment and visa versa. Tom and Shelly moved to Atlanta in 2012 where they opened up a pest control business deep in the south where they will stay plenty busy! Tom is a mid-handicapper that plays a fade off the tee and counts on his efficient iron game to score well.
- Favorite Course: Entrada at Snow Canyon (St. George, UT)
- Favorite Golf Hole: Anything with an elevated tee box
- Most Overrated Course: Headwaters (Victor, ID); for whatever reason I don't love that course - probably has more to do with the fact that I sucked the day I played
- Most Underrated Course: Victory Ranch (Park City, UT)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Wolf Creek (NV)
- Best Round played: 77 at Highland (Pocatello, ID)
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: Phil Mickelson, Mike Weir, and Bubba Watson; all lefties that I can finally try out someone else's clubs
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: Juniper Hills CC 7th; came within about six inches of an ace
- What's in the Bag: Mizuno MX-23s
Troy - Consultant
Bill and Troy Bell have been great friends since junior high school and were next door neighbors from for five years which made it really convenient to get together for some golf. Troy picked up golf in his 20s after he finished earning his Health Care Administration degree on a football scholorship (running back) at Idaho State University. Naturally athletic, Troy has developed a solid swing and relys on a high fade to get around the course in an efficient fashion. Troy likes to play his golf early so that there is time to workout at his Kulak Crossfit facility.
About 10 times a year Billy manages to get his sweet wife Stacy out for a round of golf. She'd love to play more but is quite limited due to the amount of time it takes raising a family of four girls who were all born in a six year time period. Stac has a naturally athletic swing which will help her become a good little golfer once she has more time to dedicate to it. One of the best things about Stac though is her super positive attitude about Bill's golfing addiction and supports him in everything he does.
Not a golfer himself, Rick (Bill's brother) is the programming genius that helps make this website possible. Rick earned a Master's Degree in Computer Science from Utah State and specializes in web design. Besides helping with the design of the Golf Course Gurus website, Rick is the mastermind behind my real estate website FindPocatelloHomes.com as well as the popular LDSChurchTemples.com site. In addition to his professional web design skills, Rick cuts a mean rug on the dance floor where he used to compete nationally in ballroom dancing.
Ahh, Nikki; what a phenomonal gal. How wonderful is Nikki? Wonderful enough that our wives let us take her on every outing which has made golf trippin' better than ever. Before your mind wanders too much we should explain that Nikki is the Gurus' Garmin Nuvi 260 GPS unit. Mike named her Nikki (short for Nicole Kidman) after Bill selected the option to have the unit speak with a female Austrailian American accent. Nikki has over six million points of interest programmed into her so that getting to golf courses, restaurants, and motels is now stress free.