Hi, my name is Billy Satterfield I'm a golfaholic. "Hi Billy!" should have been your knee-jerk response to that intro if you've attended Golfaholics Anonymous classes too. If you haven't attended any classes, but need to, my wife hosts them every other Wednesday night after PTA meeting. In Alcoholics Anonymous' 12 steps to recovery program, the first step reads; "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable." Substitute golf in for alcohol, and that pretty much epitomizes my life.
As the self-named Golf Course Gurus, participants on this website love golf; the challenge, the comradery, and the flat out beauty. Golf courses represent some of the most beautiful, well-manicured places on earth. Renowned golf course architect Jim Engh once said, "Golf is the only art form whereby the viewers of the art can not only move within the artwork but also 'compete' against it." We concur. We love the individuality, the challenge, the architecture, the sanctuary, and the beauty - both natural and created.
One the keys to any successful website is having fresh content. Whether it is new pictures, course reviews, or just a fresh look; the Golf Course Gurus website will frequently feature something new to look at or read. I also relish a good list—golf-related or otherwise. Every medium publishes them, and everyone with an opinion loves them. Top 10 This, Top 50 That, Greatest 100 of All Time, etc., etc. Lists inspire thought, instant debate, strong opinions, and renewed or initial interest. Golf lists are no exception.
THE AUTHOR AND HEAD GOLF COURSE GURU
Billy - Writer and Photographer
In addition to writing about golf courses, I sell real estate. I represent the fourth generation of Satterfield's that have sold real estate in Pocatello, ID and am an Associate Broker at Re/Max Country Real Estate. I didn't pick up golf until my 20s but was able to develop a single digit handicap after playing for a few seasons. I play a very high ball flight with my drives getting virtually no roll and my irons landing soft. During the non-golf season I stay active by playing basketball, running on the treadmill, and playing video games. Playing video games to stay active? Sounds odd, but I actually play Madden NFL Football or FIFA soccer while logging a few miles in on the treadmill to try and stay in shape. I also enjoy doing P90X workouts with my wife, Stacy. Beyond those things my life stays plenty busy while Stacy and I try to keep up with our four beautiful daughters and four sons.
- Favorite Course: Old Head Golf Links
- Favorite Golf Hole: Pebble Beach 8th
- Favorite Course Designer: Seth Raynor and C.B. Macdonald
- Most Overrated Course: Winged Foot (West)
- Most Underrated Course: Sleepy Hollow Country Club (NY)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Augusta National (GA) - Runners-up include ANGC and the home of the Masters
- Best Round played: 68 at my home course (Highland)
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: 227 yard hole-in-one at Glenwild's 11th hole (Park City, UT) - Runner-ups include my 2nd hole in one 4 1/2 months after my first; this time it was the 144 yard 16th hole at Oasis (Canyons) in Mesquite, NV. I then had a 125 yard hole in one July 14, 2012 on the 16th hole at my home course (Highland) with my oldest daughter Shayla and repeated the effort June 21, 2013 while golfing with my other three daughters. On June 29, 2015 I got a hole in one on a par four; a 290 yard 3-wood uphill at Highland's 3rd hole.
- Most Clutch Golf Shot: Draining a 50 foot putt for eagle and to win my Hiskey Cup match on the 18th hole at Snake River Sporting Club.
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: My Dad, my wife, and Ty Detmer
- What's in the Bag: Titleist 910 D3 8.5* driver, 13.5* Mizuno MP-001 3 wood and 5 wood, Mizuno MP-63 irons 3-PW with KBS C-Taper S+ shafts, Mizuno T7 52* and 56* (blue) wedges, and Odysssey 2-ball putter.
GOLF COURSE GURUS ASSOCIATE BIOS
I've met very few people that dedicate the same time, energy, or passion for golf that I do; however there are some people that do. They are referenced throughout the site in blogs, reviews, etc. and so I thought it would be nice to put a face with the name.
Rich - Architecture Correspondent
Anyone that has golfed with Rich Shipp would be lying if they said they have seen him miss the fairway more than twice. While that is a bit of an exaggeration, it isn't a huge stretch! Rich is the definition of consistency and his smooth, tempoed swing produces consistant results which keeps his handicap around scratch. Rich's engineering background helps him analyze golf courses and appreciate the architecture that goes into them. While he appreciates all types of golf coures, he really enjoys tracks that demand accuracy and the ability to flight balls on approaches. Rich is an easy going guy that loves the competition and strategy of golf and takes pleasure in 'kindly' kicking your tail in a match!
- Favorite Course: Victoria National
- Favorite Golf Hole: Bandon Dunes 16th
- Favorite Course Designer: Tom Fazio
- Most Overrated Course: Oakland Hills Country Club (South)
- Most Underrated Course: Pasatiempo (CA)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Private course: Augusta National (GA) - Public course: St. Andrews
- Best Round played: Have shot -6 fives times (3x at Highland in Pocatello, ID, once at Juniper Hills CC, and once at Cove View in Richfield, UT). Enjoyed shooting 73 at Snake River Sporting Club while playing with Tom Doak in 2015 and then shooting at 73 at Spanish Oaks in Austin in 2016.
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: Albatross on the par five 7th hole at Cinnabar Hills (Mountain course) in San Jose, CA. The hole measure 503 yards and I holed out from the rough, 191 yards uphill with a 3-iron.
- Most Clutch Golf Shot: Instead of an individual shot, Rich prefers to list his most clutch golf round....Winning the 2017 Club Championship at Juniper Hills Country Club by shooting a 66 (-5) on the final round to win by 1 shot.
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: The 3 J's! Jordan (Spieth), Jay (Don Blake), and Jack! (Nicklaus)
- What's in the Bag: Titleist 915 D2, Nike 3&5 woods, Titleist 816 H1 hybrid, Mizuno MP-18 SC irons, 54* and 60* Cleveland RTX-3 wedges, and a Ping Sigma G Doon Counter Balance putter
John - Writer and Rankings Contributor
John, aka "The Doctor," diagnosed his golf addiction shortly after graduating from medical school where he finally had more time to dedicate to treating the disease but so far has only magnified the symptoms. John plays a steady game characterized by straight tee shots down the fairway and almost always avoiding trouble. His schedule at the hospital occassionally grants him a full week off of work which he parlays with some vacation days to take lengthier golf trips including international destinations such as Scotland, Ireland, and Canada.
- Favorite Course: TBD
- Favorite Golf Hole: TBD
- Most Overrated Course: TBD
- Most Underrated Course: TBD
- Course I'm dying to visit: TBD
- Best Round played: TBD
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: TBD
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: TBD
- What's in the Bag: TBD
R.Jay - Content Writer
The next character, and I mean character, with the Gurus is R.Jay Henderson. RJay is a jack of all trades that enjoys snowmobiling, hunting, fishing, basketball, water sports, and of course golf. While playing wide open golf courses may remind R.Jay of his days growing up on a farm, what really spins his wheels is a mountain golf course with trees. In fact, it was an easy choice for him to place Bandon Trails as his favorite courses from the famed Bandon Dunes resort. For a long time his fondest golf memory is when he stuck his tee shot 26 inches from the hole at Coeur d'Alene Resort's floating green, but that was trumped in the fall of 2012 when he registered his first hole-in-one, which Billy witnessed.
- Favorite Course: Bandon Dunes
- Favorite Golf Hole: Coeur d'Alene 14th (floating green) and Black Rock 11th
- Favorite Course Designer: Jim Engh
- Most Overrated Course: Banbury (Eagle, ID)
- Most Underrated Course: The Creek at Qualchan (Spokane, WA)
- Course I'm dying to visit: St Andrews
- Best Round played: 74 at Teton Springs (Headwaters)
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: 175 yard shot at Coeur d'Alene's floating green that finished within gimmie range
- Most Clutch Golf Shot: Chip in on the 9th hole at Highland to extend a match play competition (Billy witnessed it)
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: Michael Jordan, Phil Mickelson, and Rickie Fowler (I would need some serious cash for the money game ... and 8 strokes a side).
- What's in the Bag: Callaway Rogue 10.5* driver, TaylorMade M1 3-wood, TaylorMade R15 hybrid, Mizuno MP-18 irons, 51*-56*-60* Mizuno MP-T wedges, and Scotty Cameron putter
Dewight - Course Evaluator
Dewight is built like a NFL tight end and is able to combine his strength and hand-eye coordination to deliver a golf game that is envied by most guys his size. With power off the tee and soft hands around the green, Dewight boasts an all around game that can get hot at the right time. He loves to play in tournaments and can often be found in Blackfoot where his hometown course brings the best out in his game.
- Favorite Course: Pacific Dunes
- Favorite Golf Hole: Pacific Dunes 13th
- Favorite Course Designer: Tom Doak
- Most Overrated Course: Coral Canyon (Utah)
- Most Underrated Course: Circling Raven (Idaho)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Augusta National and Pebble Beach
- Best Round played: 72 at Blackfoot
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: Albatross from 190 out on #6 at Blackfoot and a hole-in-one on #12 at Juniper Hills during a scramble tournament
- Most Clutch Golf Shot: Having $33 on the line and dropping a 10 foot, downhill putt, on the par 3, 15th at Juniper Hills Country Club
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: Tiger Woods, Jordan Spieth, Jim Gaffigan, and of course my wife as our caddie
- What's in the Bag: Callaway Epic 10* driver, Callaway XR 3-wood, Ping G25 hybrid, TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons 4-A, TaylorMade Tour Preferred wedges 54* and 58*, and TaylorMade Spider Limited putter
Brandon - Ratings Collaborator
If there was a sport to be played growing up, you could count on Brandon being involved. From football to basketball to baseball, Brandon found a way to be successful at all of them and is one of the few Gurus that actually played high school golf. Brandon loves to go back to the tips to tee it up and uses a draw to get around the course. Brandon proved his Guru merit during a 2016 trip to Bandon Dunes where he was undeterred by the crazy winds and rain during that pounded down one afternoon as he maintained a smile all the way to the 18th green. You'd be hard pressed to find a guy that is easier to be around then Brandon and if you challenge him to a 90s music throw-down, be prepared to lose.
- Favorite Course: Bandon Dunes, Torrey Pines, (How can I pick just one?)
- Favorite Golf Hole: 14th hole at Coeur d'Alene (The Floating Green)
- Favorite Course Designer: Tom Doak, I love how he uses the natural features of the land to develop holes. Would love to play more Gil Hanse designs though.
- Most Overrated Course: Coeur d'Alene Resort
- Most Underrated Course: Highland (Pocatello)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Augusta National Golf Club
- Best Round played: 76 at Riverside Golf Course
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: Hit a laser towards the pin on the 8th hole at Riverside. The ball stopped one revolution short of an ace.
- Most Clutch Golf Shot: Stuck it within 3 feet with a PW on the par-3 12th hole at Juniper Hills CC to win closest to the pin and a free putter.
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: My dad, Tom Brady, and Chris Farley
- What's in the Bag: Titleist 913 Driver 10.5*, Titleist 915 3 wood, Mizuno JPX irons (4-GW), Mizuno JPX 54* and 58* wedges (blue head), and Odessey 2-ball putter
Daren - Course Evaluator
Daren is a baseball player that converted to golf after his high school days. His passion for golf grew to the point that he earned his Rocky Mountain section PGA card in 2000 where it allowed him to see "the other side" of the golf business. Daren plays a high draw off the tee and can always count on his knock-down iron shots to come through when the wind and pressure rises.
- Favorite Course: Cypress Point, Sand Hills, and Sherwood CC - a tie between all three
- Favorite Golf Hole: Pebble Beach 18th
- Most Overrated Course: Poppy Hills
- Most Underrated Course: Sanctuary (Denver, CO)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Augusta National and St. Andrews
- Best Round played: 66 at Riverside (Pocatello, ID)
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: My Dad, Arnold Palmer, and Phil Mickelson
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: First hole in one - 175 yards at Highland #5. Runner up - second hole in one at Burley Golf Course, 156 yard 2nd hole where I won a set of Callaway irons. 3 putt challenge at Burley Golf Course during their chamber of commerce scramble where I sunk three consecutive putts from 10, 30, and 50 feet to win $2500. Lastly, an albatross on Canyon Springs 14th hole where I sunk my second shot from 235 yards out with a 3 wood.
- What's in the Bag: Titleist 910 D3 9* driver, Titleist 3 wood, TaylorMade Hybrid 19*, Ping s56 irons 4-PW, Mizuno 53*, 56*, and 60* wedges, and Scotty Cameron oil can Newport putter.
Steve - Senior Analyst
When it is time to book a round of golf, there is a good chance Steve (Billy's Dad) is going to get a call. My Dad and I picked up the game together and used to play scrambles all the time so that we didn't get too frustrated with some of our "less than stellar" shots. Today, Steve is a steady player that counts on his deadly low iron game to get the job done. The most beautiful course he's ever played is Jim Engh's Club at Black Rock masterpiece in Coeur d'Alene, ID. His favorite all time course though is Columbia Edgewater in Portland, OR where the LPGA stops each August. Steve served as the mission president for the Georgia Atlanta mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from July 2009 - July 2012. His time in the Peach State opened the door to visit East Lake, Atlanta Athletic Club, Peachtree Golf Club, and others.
Spencer - Course Evaluator
Spencer Ellis is a tennis player that converted to golf and hasn't looked back. His tennis background led Spencer to maintaining a 10-finger grip on the club which is utilized to hit the ball dead straight all day long. There isn't anything flashy about his game, just consistent results. Spencer is well traveled across the country which allows him to see courses in various settings and he also enjoy playing in tournaments when possible. His biggest pet peeve in golf course design is a bunker in the center of the fairway where Spencer is often heard saying, "Why am I being penalized for hitting it down the middle?"
- Favorite Course: Honors Course followed closely by Shoreacres
- Favorite Golf Hole: Pebble Beach 8th and 18th
- Favorite Course Designer: Donald Ross
- Most Overrated Course: East Lake
- Most Underrated Course: Shoreacres
- Course I'm dying to visit: St Andrews and Bandon Dunes
- Best Round played: 76 at TPC Sawgrass and 69 at East Bay to win the club championship
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: Albatross on the 13th hole at Riverside CC that secured a tournament win (6 iron from 200 yards). 2nd choice would be nearly holing out on the island green at TPC Sawgrass for hole in one.
- Most Clutch Golf Shot: Birdie during the club championship on 18th hole to win the tournament.
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: Any of my golf buddies from Golf Course Gurus. David Feherty would be our caddie to make fun of us.
- What's in the Bag: Ping 400 driver, Exotic hybrids, Bridgestone J40 irons, Titleist Vokey wedges, TaylorMade Spyder putter
Daniel - International Contributor
Daniel Reid is known for his text book swing and enjoyable, easy going personality. He and his father, professional golfer Mike "Radar" Reid, are both die hard BYU fans where they each played college golf. Daniel stands at 6'2" and generates an impressive combination of power and balance throughout his swing which produces consistent low scores. Struggling with your game? A student of the golf swing, Daniel is happy to offer some insight to get your shots back on track. Daniel has seen various courses across the world travelling with his father and at times acting as his caddie on the Senior PGA Tour.
- Favorite Course: Cypress Point
- Favorite Golf Hole: 16th at Cypress Point
- Favorite Course Designer: Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw
- Most Overrated Course: Torrey Pines (South)
- Most Underrated Course: Victory Ranch (Park City, UT)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Augusta National
- Best Round played: 64 at Riverside CC in Provo, UT and a 64 at Sand Hollow in Hurricane, UT
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: Tee shot on the 7th hole at Pebble Beach
- Most Clutch Golf Shot: 230yd hole out with a hybrid for Double-Eagle at Valley View #9. That shot completed a birdie-birdie-birdie-double eagle finish to tie for first.
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: Mike Reid (dad), Jordan Spieth, and Tiger Woods
- What's in the Bag: Taylor Made R15 Driver, Taylor Made R15 3-wood, Titleist 909 hybrid 19*, Titleist AP2's 3-pitch (KBS Tour Stiff shafts), Titleist Vokey Wedges TVD 52* and SM6 56*, and Scotty Cameron Santa Fe putter (18 years)
Tom - East Coast Correspondent
Tom Stoddard married Billy's younger sister (Shelly) and is therefore Bill's brother-in-law. Tom is a natural athlete that excelled in baseball, football, and basketball in high school and has now obtained the golfing "bug", much to Shelly's dismay. Since graduating from Idaho State University, Tom has taken golf more serious where the lefty can get frustrated by the fact he can't test out any of our right-handed golf equipment and visa versa. Tom and Shelly moved to Atlanta in 2012 where they opened up a pest control business deep in the south where they will stay plenty busy! Tom is a mid-handicapper that plays a fade off the tee and counts on his efficient iron game to score well.
- Favorite Course: Entrada at Snow Canyon (St. George, UT)
- Favorite Golf Hole: Anything with an elevated tee box
- Most Overrated Course: Headwaters (Victor, ID); for whatever reason I don't love that course - probably has more to do with the fact that I sucked the day I played
- Most Underrated Course: Victory Ranch (Park City, UT)
- Course I'm dying to visit: Wolf Creek (NV)
- Best Round played: 77 at Highland (Pocatello, ID)
- 3 People included in Dream Foursome: Phil Mickelson, Mike Weir, and Bubba Watson; all lefties that I can finally try out someone else's clubs
- Most Memorable Golf Shot: Juniper Hills CC 7th; came within about six inches of an ace
- What's in the Bag: Mizuno MX-23s
About 10 times a year Billy manages to get his sweet wife Stacy out for a round of golf. She'd love to play more but is quite limited due to the amount of time it takes raising a family of four girls who were all born in a six year time period. Stac has a naturally athletic swing which will help her become a good little golfer once she has more time to dedicate to it. One of the best things about Stac though is her super positive attitude about Bill's golfing addiction and supports him in everything he does.
Not a golfer himself, Rick (Bill's brother) is the programming genius that helps make this website possible. Rick earned a Master's Degree in Computer Science from Utah State and specializes in web design. Besides helping with the design of the Golf Course Gurus website, Rick is the mastermind behind my real estate website FindPocatelloHomes.com as well as the popular LDSChurchTemples.com site. In addition to his professional web design skills, Rick cuts a mean rug on the dance floor where he used to compete nationally in ballroom dancing.